Sunday 17 November 2013

Gunpowder Tea

What fun! Miranda Hunt is a woman detective in the late 1890s who sets off, undercover, to Arizona, under pretext of being an heiress. Her talents have been recognized by the Pinkerton Detective Agency and she is keen to prove herself by uncovering the identity of The Phantom, a notorious robber. Arriving at the Last Chance Ranch, Miranda finds numerous suspects, one of whom she is strongly attracted to. She is, however, determined that nothing – not even romance – will interfere with her mission to apprehend the Phantom. I found myself becoming as bewildered as Miranda as she sought to discover who was friend or foe – including another undercover agent working for the rival company, Wells Fargo. Margaret Brownlee throws the delights of a small community, intriguing characters and a young woman’s desire to follow God’s will for her life into the mix. The plot is enough to keep up the reader’s interest, while not too complex for enjoyment. BookSneeze® provided me with a complimentary copy of this book. Although I enjoyed it, it was a very light read: I would probably not have bought a hard copy to keep and reread. Nevertheless, I would definitely read more books by Margaret Brownley. Good for those ‘switching off’ moments – pure escapism! I review for BookSneeze®

No comments: