Friday 4 January 2008

Cycling

Getting back on my bike this year wasn't particularly easy. It was great to be exercising again - there's such a carefree feel about moving through the air while sitting back comfortably - but the weather was bitterly cold. Brought tears to my eyes.

The wind makes it especially interesting here. Round a corner and you are met by the full blast of an Arctic northerly. Equally, a turn into a quiet lane where hedges and stone walls shelter from all but the slightest of breezes.

Still, it's fun. I got myself up to school, freewheeling home on a sunny afternoon; dodged huge lorries as I took a shortcut through the industrial area; and managed to do all my shopping locally, putting a few items into a small rucksack with the remainder on the carrier. So much more satisfying than stepping into the car.

No comments: