Saturday 1 December 2018

Welcome Cara Grace!

Expecting Cara Grace (aka BD, Baby Dow or Baby Girl) to arrive on November 30th, we were pleased to hear of her impending appearance late on November 28th, or, indeed, November 29th in New Zealand, which is where she was.

Here in Guernsey, we were a mere 13 hours behind... That was fine. We were prepped with WhatsApp...which wasn't fine. Richard had changed WhatsApp over to his phone - unwittingly, it must be said - and, as a consequence, WhatsApp was unknowingly deleted from my phone. He then went to sleep...

Meanwhile, I stayed awake, periodically checking my phone and wondering why I wasn't getting any updates...until I checked the Pollard family group. Sure enough, WhatsApp sniffily told me that I couldn't send (or receive) messages to or from the group because I was no longer a participant.

Wonderful. Not. I kindly did not wake my sleeping husband - though I was sorely tempted. I eventually got news via Facebook Messenger - oh, social media, how we do love thy (myriad) ways - that Cat had left home for the birthing centre and then, a couple of hours later, that Cara was born. The family transferred to the nearby hospital for Cat to have post-delivery surgery, but all was well. By then it was gone 1.30 in the morning here.

I'd been too excited to get to sleep - and was too busy checking for updates - and was then too excited to get to sleep afterwards. Going to school the next day on a couple of hours of kip was interesting, to say the least... in solidarity with Cat who had also had a couple of sleepless nights by that stage.

But it didn't matter. We looked at the photos over and over again, watching a little video of her yawning and mewing little newborn kitten noises on repeat.

I shared my happy news with my colleagues, who were delighted for me - what lovely people I work with.









We Skyped - yet another technological miracle - when Cara was just 30 hours old. How precious: no wrinkly newborn skin: just chubby-cheeked perfection. More photos. More oohing and aahing and catching up for the first time with Cat. She looked impossibly glamorous and not at all as if she had just endured labour...





All was not plain sailing, however. Cat was taken to hospital on the recommendation of the midwives who wanted her heart and blood checked out. We had an anxious few hours, calling on friends to pray for health for her while we waited for news. I was at our monthly Healing Rooms, where people come to be prayed for by healing. Definitely prayer by proxy for Cat as my companions gathered round me.

A couple of hours later she messaged - just as we were in the middle of a conversation with her worried brother - that all seemed to be well, no cause for concern... Cara, meanwhile, was being cooed over by all the nurses, glad to see a newborn...

Little person, huge blessing. #thankful  #amazing #wonderofwonders

No comments: