Saturday 21 June 2008

Friends, daughters and sisters

Sometimes I don't know how to 'label' people. Not that I particularly like to do that, but it IS convenient sometimes.

This week I've met with a number of different women, all who need labels.

My sister-in-law and my niece came to stay for a couple of days. I have three sisters-in-law, but how to describe them? The one who came to stay is the sister-in-law who 'lives in Kenya and is a Christian'. Then there is my sister-in-law, more than a decade younger than I am, who is the most perfect little mother to her two young sons. And another, highly intelligent mother of teenagers who runs her own business and copes bravely with her widowhood. There is no way of accurately and succinctly 'labelling' them.

Today I went to a women's breakfast, hosted by another church with a nationally acclaimed speaker. I was with sisters-in-Christ: one very close friend from my own church, others from my church and yet other 'sisters' from other churches on the island, some of whom I knew, some I didn't.

With me was the 'Dottie' and her best friend.

But how do I describe the best friend Mary?

Mary has been on holiday with us several times. She is so much past of the family that she stays over at the drop of a hat and makes tea for us all when she comes round. She is a real gift from God to our family. How do I label her?

Simple. My God'sdaughter.

No comments: