Wednesday 19 November 2008

Longing

I've become somewhat raw recently. Not in a bad sense, but a feeling of being raw and open to others' wounds. It saddens me when I feel the difficulties others are facing: ill-health; redundancy - without the financial package, just a week's wages; the break-up of a relationship.

It is all loss - of security, of direction, of hope, of joy.

Often, though, I can help in a small way. I can visit, I can empathize, I can provide practical care, I can give a listening ear.

The saddest is when I am raw to others' lack of a sense of purpose. They are looking - but cannot find, because they do not know where to look. How can I help them to do that? How do I find the right words?

The only way I can help is to pray. For them, for myself - for awareness, for knowing what to say and when to say it. For them.

No comments: