Tuesday 23 February 2010

Hilarious days

Back at school now for two days - it feels like two weeks.

Great fun, though.

I've had a note in the homework diary which said: The square on the hypotenuse of a right (angled) triangle is equal to the sum of the squares on the adjacent sides.
Now, is this a joke? Has a nine year old boy really been taught this at home by his parents? We certainly don't cover this in school at this age. Or is this the beginning of a bizarre maths dialogue?

All kinds of follow up comments occurred to me:

E = mc squared.
OR
Yes, indeed, sirree!
OR
I'm glad you're sure, because I'm not!
OR
The area of a circle is pi times r squared.
OR
Why?

I wasn't sure, so I chickened out.
I drew one of my trademark smiley faces - adorned with curls.

Let the parent make of that what he will. It certainly produced peals of laughter from me.

No comments: