Sunday 26 October 2008

I lift my eyes to the hills

Psalm 121 - which has been set most beautifully to music by Brian Doerksen www.briandoerksen.com says:
I lift up my eyes to the hills -where does my help come from?
My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth.

We all love and appreciate the beauty of God's creation, which is a love song in our ears. A quiet walk in the country; sitting on a rock by a wildly raging sea; gazing at a panorama of mountains - all these bring rest to our souls, restoring peace. But help - that is something else.

The peace brought about by nature is only temporary, fleeting. Help comes from nature's Maker.

A friend once defined an extrovert as someone who gains energy from other people. I suspect Jesus was like that. Even his retreat to a quiet place to pray was to spend time with his Father, not just to be on his own.

I've never thought of myself as an extrovert. I'm naturally shy, quite quiet, not the life and soul of the party. But I gain energy from being with like-minded people. From talking about things of the heart, things that really matter. From sharing Jesus with them.

No comments: