Sunday 9 December 2007

Protected

I've been watching the birds as the storms rage. They try to huddle in the bushes, occasionally venturing out. Seagulls soar overhead, helplessly swept backwards by the howling wind. Even a kestrel skimmed over the hedge, battling against the rain, losing its mastery over the currents.

I feel like those birds. Storms rage over me at work, threatening to engulf me. Every so often there is a lull and I relax: only to find myself increasingly battered on every side.

Yet tonight, at church, I was reminded of some Bible verses from Deuteronomy (Chapter 32:9 - 11, my version of The Message):

He (God) found his people out in the wilderness, in an empty, windswept wasteland. God threw his arms around them, lavished attention on them, guarding them as the apple of his eye. He was like an eagle hovering over its nest, overshadowing its young, then spreading its wings, lifting them into the air, teaching them to fly.

I knew, then, that God was indeed looking after me with tender care. Storms might rage around me, but I do not need to be afraid: God is on the case!

No comments: