Friday 27 March 2020

CoVid19: the beginnings

Well, the world and his mother will be commenting on CoVid19 today, Mother's Day/Mothering Sunday, so I thought I would join in.

Was going to just include it in my monthly round-up, but, well... the pandemic probably deserves its own post.

So here we go.

Today was a day set aside for prayer and fasting by GAFCON, an Anglican group which aims to "guard and proclaim the unchanging, transforming Gospel through biblically faithful preaching and teaching". In addition, a local Christian mobilised others to stand at various high points around the coast of Guernsey, praying for the island; and the Church of England has called us to light a candle at 7pm, beginning a week of prayer and practical action.

So I did.

I took the dog, walking out along the cliffs, praying as I went. I paused at various points, looking out across a still and shining sea, praying with the others scattered around the island's coastline. I fasted from food - didn't forgo the morning coffee - until evening. A good discipline, as every hunger pang prompted prayer. Now, as I write, I look at the candle in the window, a reminder to pray everyday this week.
The light shines in the darkness...

...and the darkness shall not overcome it.
Practical action? I started yesterday, dropping cards round to a dozen neighbours, giving our contact details and offers of help if needed. Had some lovely texts in return, making contact including one elderly gentleman for whom we will do some shopping. Good to know we are in touch, should we all need extra help in the days and weeks to come.

Meanwhile, my neighbour shares her Ministry of the Eggs, generously giving her neighbours her hens' bounty: and sharing with me the amazing tree tomatoes, grown HERE ON GUERNSEY by her equally generous cleaner, who has a tree in her greenhouse. Such a wonderful gift for me, reminding me of beloved Kenya.

There have been some wonderful tips and advice floating around, not least from the executive director of UNICEF who encapsulated all of them into a few brief minutes.


There has been much humour, the best of which has flooded my WhatsApp groups.

But best of all, as I walked the coastal path, I saw signs of spring. I stopped to take photos, knowing that soon the days would accelerate in length and the wind would blow soft once again.

So I reflect on the day, just one of many long days in this time of social distancing. Fasting slowed me down, helped me notice, spurred me on to pray. Calmed my spirit. The week has been full of dilemma: should I/shouldn't I go to work? Should my son and daughter-in-law leave Tanzania to come here, for the holidays at least? What would be best? Who knows?

Only God. Uncertain times, but trusting Him, the God who loves us more than a mother, who holds us safely in the palm of His hand, under the cover of His sheltering wings, is the best thing to do.

Thankful this Sunday evening.

No comments: