Saturday 8 December 2007

Hope

Only a few more days until the end of term, and I'm looking forward to it. It hasn't been easy, since one of the children has exhibited very challenging behaviour. I'm dispirited by his constant attention seeking and self-centredness, tired of his arrogance. I feel helpless in the face of the poor parenting which has brought all this about.

Yet there are spontaneous acts of kindness, little beacons of light. The child who tidied up someone else's lunchbox; the boy who, when another was upset over the loss of a sweet he had been given, offered his own; the boy who, after the bishop's talk, presented me with £2.5o for the AIDS orphans in Africa; the children who don't just offer to help, but quietly DO small, meaningful tasks, unasked; the lovely, supportive parents who give me a boost just when I need it; my fantastic colleagues who provide me with help, advice, support and love.

I have much to be thankful for: this is what I try to focus on: it all makes my job more worthwhile.

No comments: