Monday 21 December 2015

Kiwi wedding #7 Godincidences

One of the joys of visiting New Zealand is the connections we always seem to find.

It's not difficult, in some ways. Christians connect, Guerns travel...there is always someone who knows someone who knows someone else...

Today, two delightful meetings.

We tore ourselves away from lovely Ohope and made good time to Auckland - so much so, that we were early for our meeting with Cat. So we rocked up to her friend Gael's house, prepared to wait outside, but realised that Gael's sister and brother-in-law were at home.  So were Gael's parents, Ian and Linda.

Originally from Zimbabwe, they moved to New Zealand and now live in Australia.  Before I knew it, I discovered that Ian Spence had been one of Aldwyth and Renee Cowan's young men who would gather at their house on a Sunday for lunch and Bible study. Not only that, but he was the same age as Renee's daughter, Wendy.  Renee has been one of my closest friends since I arrived on Guernsey over eleven years ago: she is my mentor, my guide, my inspiration and my encouragement and I love her. And I loved connecting with friends from Renee's past.

And then I discovered that Linda's father had worked on the same nuclear power stations as my father had done - we threw the names around with familiarity...

Later, I met a friend of one of Cat's flatmates. 'You're from Guernsey?' she asked.  'Do you know the Parkes family...?' And of course I do. She had been at Hillsong college in Sydney and had worked with Chris and Tash Parkes, son and daughter-in-law of my dear friend Ros...

...and just today I had an email from a friend who knows Andy's parents, Sue and Allan, from when they all lived in Arusha, Tanzania....after I had read a book which profiles and praises my friend Lisa's father, Denny Repko, who, in his eighties, is still serving in the Navigators' ministry.

I love these God-connections. His family is worldwide and He loves to connect his children together...

No comments: